The Past, Present & Future
The Past, Present & Future
In 1845 John Aldridge opened his first school which was located in Clarence Street and then later in Kingston, Yeovil. John's son Alfred, who was educated at the school, took over the headship at the early age of 31 in 1886. He was followed by the Rev. A.W. Batchelor in 1896 and Frank C. Rudd in 1899.
In 1924 the then Headmaster J.W.'Boss' Pearson changed the name of the boys grammar school from The Yeovil County School to Yeovil School and the following year another of his many innovations was to found the Old Yeovilians' Association (OYA) in 1924. It was to play a significant part in the involvement of both boys and parents in the school's life until the school was forced to close in 1974.The school's closure was due to the
Under the popular leadership of the then President, Tom Lumb, the OYA continued to thrive and soon grew to establish itself as a focal point for the many hundreds of past pupils who wished to remain in contact with one another.
In June 1986 Tom Lumb died and was succeeded as OYA President by Fred Horne, a past member of staff from 1954 until 1974.
During a Reunion weekend in June 1995 the association celebrated the 150th Anniversary of the school's foundation in 1845. A 150th Anniversary Book of the history of the school and the association was published and 1000 copies printed to commemorate the occasion. To date 897 copies have been sold.
A Reunion Dinner is held every November and during the year a range of social and sporting activities are organised to encourage contact between members.
In August a 12 page Newsletter is compiled, printed and distributed to all the current 950 membership by post and email.
The association has an extensive archive of many valuable school paper records and photographs. Some of these will occasionally appear on this website.
Should any member or family researching their family history require any details from the school registers or archives should contact the web master.
Visitors to the website are invited to pass on any details that will help us trace an 'old boy' or any family details that would provide a useful contact to be followed up.
The occasional sales of the above 96 page Anniversary Book (was £15 NOW ONLY £10 + P&P) have so far, since 1995, provided the funding for the association, but with the ever increasing postal, printing and running costs any members donation will be welcomed by the treasurer.
Details of current activities on the 'Events' show that there is an interest to maintain the spirit of the association. Evidence of this is seen by the numbers who attend and enjoy the Annual Reunion Dinners held each November.
ASSOCIATION OFFICERS and COMMITTEE are -
PRESIDENT: Fred Horne, 4 Goldcroft, Yeovil BA21 4DA Email: email@example.com
CHAIRMAN: Kelvin Henwood, 5 Pendruffle Lane, Poundbury, Dorchester DT1 3WJ E Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
V.CHAIRMAN: David Lacey, 19 Herrington Road, Dorchester, DT1 2BS E Mail: email@example.com
SECRETARY: Ken Tulk, Windhaven, Longford Road, Thornford, Sherborne DT9 6QQ E Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
TREASURER: Roger Fox, Combe Ridge, Ham Hill Road, Higher Odcombe, Yeovil BA22 8XE E Mail: email@example.com
NEWSLETTER / WEBSITE EDITOR: Dave Shorey, 2 Winston Drive, Yeovil BA21 3BH E Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
COMMITTEE: Ken Davy, John Dodge, Mike Dodge, Alan Fowler, Peter Fowler, Jack Sweet, Ron Wrigley.